Friday, July 29, 2011

Shade House



Well i made it back. Back from poor pitiful me idea. Just seemed i was pouring my soul into this blog trying to help someone start out right with daylilies with good info and there was never (very little) response. Maybe it was the heat from summer. I may not blog everyday but i will try to blog once a week.



Well you remember we put some shade cloth over an area we had planned on using for a greenhouse. I wasnt getting any pods before that. Well we have well over 150 pods tet and dip. We have been collecting seeds for about a week. I have collected about 40 pods so far.



Now we are getting rebloom under the shade cloth from dips and tets that had not rebloomed in the past in the open garden. Now we have had temps above 100 for the past 3 weeks and no rain. But i do water every other day in this area and it still gets hot. So yesterday Jack Carpenters Peppermint Delight had a bloom open on a rebloom scape and here it is taken thursday at 630 pm. thats right late in the afternoon and still looks good. The petal was broken because my dog thought it was something to eat and knocked it out of my hand. The petals were still firm and colors not faded. I am a firm believer in using shade cloth for hybridizing now.



Jim Elliott

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim,

    You have been showing some very nice seedlings. Hope you plan to come to Chattanooga in December so everyone will have a chance to see them.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete